Monday, April 12, 2010

Jillian Michaels: Day One.

I decided that with summer and my surgery coming up, and since I will basically be spending my entire recovery time at the beach, I need to look hot doing it! So, I went out and bought Jillian Michaels' book, "Making the Cut". It teaches you about nutrition, and walks you through a rigorous diet and exercise plan. She says that if you follow this book to the letter, you could lose 20 pounds in 30 days. I'm not trying to lose 20 pounds, but I am trying to get a 6 pack, so this book will work wonders on me too. Now, I am no stranger to working out, but I am accustomed to eating whatever I want, whenever I want, with few consequences, so this will be an interesting month.

After a few days of being too busy or tired, and saying, "I'll start tomorrow," I finally bit the bullet today. Here's basically how that went down.

I don't feel comfortable disclosing too many details from the book, because I'm not sure Jillian would appreciate me taking away her sales by making her information public. So, I'll just tell you this: It was HARD...but awesome. 50 reps of this, 50 reps of that, 5 different circuits with like 5+ exercises in them...and a 30 second break in between each circuit. When you're done with all that, 15 minutes of extra cardio. At times, I felt like I was going to cry and scream "I hate you Jillian!" But I toughed it out and it is going to be SO worth it!

I stayed true to her vision, including my allotted 30 second break times. I worked really hard and did all of the exercises, and did them right! Well, um, all but one that is. "Squat thrusts" - Alex, (who is doing this with me too) and I thought that we knew what that meant. Squat thrusts sounds easy enough to comprehend. Well, we didn't do them right. Not at all. A squat thrust, for those of you who don't know, looks a little something like this.

The way Alex and I decided to "Squat Thrust" IN the middle of the gym, looked a little something like this.

Needless to say, tomorrow I'm going to look at Jillian's exercise example pictures a little better.


Here's what my arms look like thus far:



Right now, it's late and I am starving and sore. I've already eaten dinner, and since then, I've been trying to tide my body over with water...and by promising it we will eat again tomorrow.

Alex told me that "Jillian Said" I wasn't allowed to eat triscuits at nighttime, resulting in our newest addition to theeee... Quoteboard!

"Don't tell me what to do or I'm going to get another cardio workout in when I beat your ass!"
- yours, truly

1 comment:

  1. Bahaha I just started working at a gym a few months ago, and I was instantly sucked into all of that kind of stuff. I was very intense about getting what I liked to call "THOUSANDS OF ABS". I did something called "the ab ripper" every single night, as well as decided I'm going to run a half marathon in October and consequently need to train for that.

    However, I'm a big dummy and a lot of this came out of hating my body. So, I'm going to learn to love my body by being kind to it and eating things that make me feel good (such as salads, but also cinnamon rolls). Then, someday, I may have abs. As far as the marathon goes, I'll probably still do that.

    I admire your motivation!! I give up on stuff like this all too easy. Good luck with your 6 pack ;) <3

    ReplyDelete